[TN-Bird] Warblers at Melton Hill Park

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:38:27 -0400

I birded Melton Hill Park in west Knox County today from 10:05 until just
before 2 pm.  I was actually on my way out at 1 pm but drove from the parking
lot to the boat ramp on the other side to take a final look around and saw so
much activity that I stayed nearly another hour.  I found 7 warbler species but
could only identify 6.  I had a great look at the 7th and still wasn't sure
what it was.  Closest I could come was a first winter female Blackpoll.  The
Pine Warbler was a bit of a surprise as there are no pine trees in the park but
my guide says they can be found anywhere in migration.  The Kingbirds appear to
have migrated south as this was the first I haven't found any here since May.
My list follows:
 28 speciesGreat Blue Heron 2

Black Vulture 4

Turkey Vulture 1