[TN-Bird] Warbler Surprise-

  • From: James M Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:19:22 -0400

 While photographing the foggy lake this morning at Cove Lake State Park
in Campbell County, TN  (N. of Knoxville) I kept hearing the
recognizable flat chip of a
Yellow-Rumped Warbler. A glance in the telephoto lens proved I was
hearing correctly. From 8:30 - 9:45, I had a total of 9 Yellow Rumps in
different locations around the lake. Have not checked my records, but
sure seems like an early date for this area.  Maybe it just seems that
way because of the heat..
Also present at the lake were an Osprey, a Chat on the back trail;
Tennessee Warblers, Black and White Warbler and Magnolia.  Brown
Thrashers numbered 12 along the back trail in the thickets.  12 Wood
Ducks were in the back swamp area. First I have seen there in a long
time.  Will be interesting to see what waterfowl inhabit the lake this
winter without the tyrant Mute Swan being present any longer.
There were also 7 Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds still around feeding on the
plentiful
Jewelweed.
Overall, fall birding at Cove Lake has been very slow this year.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN