[tn-bird] Walking under the water dish/& a Thank You

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 10:30:46 EDT

No folks, it's not a water ouzel (dipper)!

Yesterday, I noticed that the wind or something had blown or knocked my
birds' water dish off onto the deck depositing it upside down.  I thought I'd
get out to fix it in a minute, but decided it was more urgent when the dish
started moving across the deck in a walking motion.  I KNEW the dish wasn't
doing the walking, so I went to investigate.  Thinking it to be one of my
vociferous squirrels, I approached the upside-down dish a bit trepedatiously.
As I got to it, it started moving again, then stopped.  I saw dark tail
feathers sticking out from under the edge, so I lifted the container.  A very
wet rock dove flew up to the deck railings all the while splattering me with
water and Lord only knows what all else.   I guess the dish was mostly empty
from all their bathing and splashing and flipped over on this individual when
it perched on the edge. I had forgotten to put the rock I use for the smaller
birds to perch on back in the dish.  At any rate, it caused a moment of
concern then a moment of amusement.

Also, thank you to Jeff Wilson for the reply about the digital
camera/binocular query.  It makes sense, and I kind of thought that might be
the case.  I have seen some bad technological combos in the past.  The idea
is great, but when one piece of the equipment goes, all is lost.  So far, no
one seems to have been able to solve that problem for most items.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN