[TN-Bird] WOODCOCK!!!

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 00:11:59 -0400 (EDT)

Back about February or March, I was out in the yard one
night and heard a "pent".  'One pent only' to paraphrase
Captain Ramius.  I didn't hear it again and wasn't
completely convinced.  Good woods and a muddy, flat field
at the bottom of the hill, though....

Tonight (4 July), Amber and I went out to watch the
fireworks around the neighborhood and from the restaurant
at the bottom of the hill.  At the same time, we saw a
critter flying towards us and started to say "look at
that bat."  But as it got closer, it was huge.  As it
went past just a few feet from our heads, the silhouette
was clearly that of an American Woodcock!  Long bill and
all.  Woohoo!  Yardbird #109!  And one I really didn't
expect!

A fairly noteworthy sighting as well given the time of
year and potential breeding.

Dean and Amber Edwards
Knoxville, TN