[TN-Bird] Re: WMAs and birding

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Melinda Welton <weltonmj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 09:31:13 -0500

I am all in favor of a non-game use permit for TWRA lands. I know in other areas you must have a "parking permit" to have your vehicle on public open space. Such a permit could be given to those who either buy a hunt/fish permit or a recreational permit.

BUT there is the big issue of enforcement. I know people who have fished in Tennessee public waters for years without ever buying a license or ever having been asked to show one. It depends on where you are, of course. And this really gets to the core issue of funding and staffing. Posting and updating hunting seasons would require person power. Which requires money. And that money would be diverted from other activities like acquisition, maintenance, and enforcement.

Politically, adding a recreational fee might be a hard sell, too.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

On Sep 11, 2016, at 10:53 PM, Melinda Welton wrote:

I know this is a difficult subject, but I think we’re going to have to address it sometime.

As more and more people are seeking openspace and good birding places, more and more people will be visiting WMAs. Hunting schedule signs really do need to be posted for both safety and visitor expectations. And then there is the subject of how non- consultive wildlife enthusiasts can contribute to the management and acquisition of land for WMAs.

An idea that has been floating around for years is to have a specific Wildlife Watcher’s license for visiting WMAs, like hunters have to have hunting licenses. Personally, I’d like to see a license like this rather than be counted as a hunter. I've bought hunting licenses in the past when I wanted to voice my opinion about TWRA practices, like starting a Sandhill Crane hunting season.

What do folks think about this idea? Has the time come?

Melinda Welton
Nashville, TN