[tn-bird] Re: W Knox migrants

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:48:00 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps we should forget the KTOS trips to Sharp's Ridge, and simply
crash Dean's house.  No worry over traffic, noise, interrupting
amorous happenings or stepping on sharp man-made objects.  And I'll
bet that either Dean or his new wife cooks...  (Sorry Dean, I've
forgotten her name...)

;-)

Congrats on the great list so far.

Charlie

--- K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Things have really picked up the last couple of days in the
> backyard in West Knoxville.  It was going slow for a while
> when it was so dry but the rain Wednesday night brought in
> a lot of goodies with it.  Thursday and Friday mornings have
> been great with lots of new species added to the new yard
> list.
>
> The most common bird is still Yellow-rumped Warbler with
> literally over one hundred throughout the woods along the ridge
> behind our house.  At times there's a constant din as they
> sing, overlapping so that there are no breaks in between, just
> constant Yellow-rumped Warbler song... with the occassional
> "Look at me, here I am, Can't see me, Over here, ... " of
> a Red-eyed Vireo trying to make himself heard over the legions
> of Yellow-rumps.
>
> A few other species are sneaking in.  Early morning has been
> the best by far, if only I could stay longer before going to
> work.  About every thirtieth bird I look at will be something
> besides a Yellow-rump.  Add to that some "heard-onlies" and
> I'm starting to get an impressive list:  Cerulean, Blue-winged,
> Cape May, Black-and-white, N Parula, Prairie, Palm, Pine,
> Black-throated Green, Yellow-throated, Am Redstart, Hooded,
> Ovenbird, Scarlet Tanager, Yellow-billed Cuckcoo, Rose-breasted
> Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Blue-grey
> Gnatcatcher....
>
> The new yard list stands right around 70 species since late-Jan.
> Not too shabby.
>
> Dean Edwards
> Knoxville, TN
> kde@xxxxxxx

>      Visit the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>           web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
>     TN-Bird Net Owner: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
>         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx      (423) 764-3958

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)