[tn-bird] W Knox migrants

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:41:10 -0400 (EDT)

Things have really picked up the last couple of days in the
backyard in West Knoxville.  It was going slow for a while
when it was so dry but the rain Wednesday night brought in
a lot of goodies with it.  Thursday and Friday mornings have
been great with lots of new species added to the new yard
list.

The most common bird is still Yellow-rumped Warbler with
literally over one hundred throughout the woods along the ridge
behind our house.  At times there's a constant din as they
sing, overlapping so that there are no breaks in between, just
constant Yellow-rumped Warbler song... with the occassional
"Look at me, here I am, Can't see me, Over here, ... " of
a Red-eyed Vireo trying to make himself heard over the legions
of Yellow-rumps.

A few other species are sneaking in.  Early morning has been
the best by far, if only I could stay longer before going to
work.  About every thirtieth bird I look at will be something
besides a Yellow-rump.  Add to that some "heard-onlies" and
I'm starting to get an impressive list:  Cerulean, Blue-winged,
Cape May, Black-and-white, N Parula, Prairie, Palm, Pine,
Black-throated Green, Yellow-throated, Am Redstart, Hooded,
Ovenbird, Scarlet Tanager, Yellow-billed Cuckcoo, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Blue-grey
Gnatcatcher....

The new yard list stands right around 70 species since late-Jan.
Not too shabby.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN
kde@xxxxxxx