[TN-Bird] W. Kingbird / Reeve - Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:46:32 EDT

April 23, 2003
Ensley Bottoms - Mustin Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

After a good weekend on the Alabama coast and seeing many FOY birds, I took
off at 4 PM today and headed to the pits. At Ensley, there was nothing
unexpected in the shorebird line except a Black-necked Stilt already on a
nest and a full complement of four puff ball miniature Killdeer following Mom
and Dad around. A few Lesser Scaup are still hanging at TVA Lake. About 1/4
mile south of the steam plant I located a Western Kingbird feeding along a
row of Cottonwood trees. It seemed to be feeding and moving and I eventually
lost the bird as it went farther back away from the road. Hopefully, we will
get at least 3 nests again this year at the plant.

I went by the river front and the Mississippi is still too high for the
sandbars to show. At Eagle Lake Refuge I ran through the Lesser and Greater
Yellowlegs, two or three times before coming across a Reeve. This was my
first at this location. She was very inactive at first, just standing all
fluffed out as if she had just arrived. I got a distant back lit shot and
watched the bird become very aggressive and run all the birds out of one wet
spot. I lost and found the bird two or three times. The legs were calling a
lot and some left before dark heading north-northwest.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.