[tn-bird] Re: Vulture Roost

  • From: Tanya_Iles@xxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:02:43 -0500

Thanks for the information!  We live about 3 miles from there and I have seen
them in that area for years.   I just didn't know they were roosting out there
as well.  We plan to go out there and look for them in the next few days when
the weather clears up.  THANKS!!!!

Tanya Iles
Chattanooga, TN

David & Gloria Patterson <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx> on 02/17/2002 07:32:13 AM

Please respond to Discussion list for Tennessee Birding
      <TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To:   TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:    (bcc: Tanya Iles/Synthetic)

Subject:  Vulture Roost

There is a Vulture Roost near Mountain Brook Drive. February 16, about 5 PM,
there were about 60 vultures in the trees, with the majority Black Vultures.
There were an additional 20 or so, mostly Turkey Vultures, flying within
sight distance, say 2-3 miles.

Residents say they are present all the time, up to a "couple hundred", have
been there at least since last summer, and nest there.

Mountain Brook Drive is a short residental street off (north) of Swanson
Road. It is about 2/10 mile long, dead end, new houses both sides,
surrounded by pasture and a bit of woods.  The trees are along Hurricane
Creek.

The easiest way to get there from Chattanooga is to take Ooltewah-Ringold
Road south from East Brainerd Road, cross into Georgia and go about 1 mile
to Swanson Road, west 3/10 mile to Mountain Brook, north 2/10 mile nearly to
the dead end.  The vultures are on the left (west) behind the last house on
the left, easily seen from the street.

David Patterson
Ooltewah / Chattanooga

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination or copying of
communication in error, please notify us immediately by returning the original
message to the sender and then delete the message. Thank you.