[TN-Bird] Volunteers for Ivory-bill Search & AOU meeting results

  • From: "Shane" <tshane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:33:42 -0400

Birders: More information on the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker that I have just
gotten from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

Shane Adams
East of Hamblen County
Morristown, TN. 37813

Dear Lab members and friends,

The search for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker in Arkansas will continue in
November. Meanwhile, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Audubon Arkansas
are organizing search teams involving volunteers who can commit to two-week
blocks of time. For those interested, information and an online application
form are available from the News section of our Ivory-billed Woodpecker web
site, http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory.

Last week, researchers from the Lab of Ornithology gave several
presentations about the Ivory-billed Woodpecker rediscovery and research
results at the annual meeting of the American Ornithologists' Union. If
you'd like to read about it, please see the article below.

"Evidence on the wing: Cornell Lab of Ornithology director presents new
proof that ivory-billed woodpecker exists"
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Aug05/FitzAOU2.html

"Researcher gives frame-by-frame analysis of disputed woodpecker video, and
insists it shows the real thing."
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Aug05/VideoAOU.html

"Evidence of ivory-billed woodpecker's existence mounts with presentations
of sound recordings to bird experts."
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Aug05/IvorybillAOU2.html

Many thanks to members of the Lab for supporting our ongoing research on
Ivory-billed Woodpeckers and our multifaceted programs in research,
education, citizen science, and conservation.

If you are not a member of the Lab and would like to receive our special
issues of Living Bird and BirdScope about the Ivory-billed Woodpecker,
please call (800) 843-2473 and ask for the membership department.

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Your friends at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology