[TN-Bird] Vocalization Experiment

  • From: Bates Estabrooks <wgpu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:42:48 -0400

I seem to be having trouble posting on my standard email account, so I've
subscribed with a new account, a will try to post this..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anderson County, TN7/31/2012

When you're sitting at home recovering from rotator-cuff surgery, you have
plenty of time on your hands (hand?) to do silly things and conduct amateurish
experiments.
So, I did a test, and I learned that male Indigo Buntings will readily respond
to (rush in to investigate) Lazuli Buntings' calls.  Sitting on my porch, I
played Lazuli Bunting songs from the Audubon Bird Guide app, and Sibley app on
my Android device, and several of the vocalizations brought a prompt fly-by
from a singing Indigo Bunting that was, initially, a few hundred feet away.  I
repeated this several times with the same response from the bird.
I tried the same experiment with Painted Bunting songs, but to no avail; no
response.  It would be interesting to know if we see this in other
inter-species examples.
Thanks.
Bates EstabrooksAndersonville, TN

SDG