[TN-Bird] Vermillion Flycatcher still present Saturday

  • From: "Mark Allen Greene" <magreene@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:54:48 -0600

December 13, 2003
Lake County, TN
I had to work a couple of hours early this morning and then had several things
lined up to do this afternoon so unfortunately I was not able to participate in
the Pace Point CBC trial run like I had wanted to.  I did get done at work a
little quicker than I had anticipated and had about a four hour window so I
decided to make a run to the Reelfoot Airpark to see if the Vermillion
Flycatcher was still around as I had not yet had an opportunity to go see it.
I arrived at about 9:30 and drove slowly scanning the fence in front of the
runway.  I did not see the bird initially but when I drove to the north and
turned around I saw a little flash of pink about half way down sitting on the
fence.  I looked in my binoculars and there he was!  I put my scope on the
window and then he flew towards me and landed in a tree not more than 20 feet
away!  A beauty of a little bird no doubt!  I watched him struggle to swallow a
large cricket and it reminded me of the way a heron keeps working a fish into
different positions until it can finally swallow it!  He kept working at it for
about 2 minutes and then finally gobbled it down!  I watched him work his way
north along the barbed wire fence for about 30 minutes and then he got up and
flew to the trees on the south side of the runway on the west side of the road
opposite the lake.  I hope this little jewel sticks around for one more week so
we can count him on the Reelfoot Lake CBC next Saturday!

After I left the Airpark I stopped at the rice fields near Black Bayou where I
had a couple of hundred Lapland Longspurs swirling around calling and
disappearing into the rice and then doing it all over again.  A nice flock of
blackbirds was also present near the road and I was able to pick out several
Rusty blackbirds in the flock.  A few minutes later another small flock of
blackbirds landed off by themselves and I looked and these were all Brewer's
Blackbirds.  An adult and an immature Bald Eagle were feeding on something in
the rice about 30 yards from the road and made for some nice views.  Also
presnt in the rice fields were American Pipits and numerous Wilson's Snipe and
Killdeer.  I was unable to find any other shorebirds in the field but I didn't
get to spend a lot of time there.  I left here and then I walked two or three
suitable looking grass patches for possble LeConte's Sparrow but had no luck.
I did have several different Red-tailed Hawks in various plumages either around
the lake or on the way home - Eastern, Krider's, dark morph, and rufous morph
were all seen.

I'll be back up there next Friday, the day before the count, to do some more
scouting but I had to get up there to see that little flycatcher.  He was well
worth the few minutes I got to spend with him and the drive up there!  Thanks
again to Bud & Alice Johnson for finding and reporting this little beauty so
other could enjoy him!  I sure did.  :-)

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, Gibson County, TN