[TN-Bird] Vermilion still present at Hatchie

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:23:41 -0600

12/03/04
Oneal Lake; Hatchie NWR
Haywood Co.

I finally got  off work early enough today to make the 20-mile trip from
where I work in Jackson, to try for the Vermilion. I got there about 3:30
this afternoon, thinking I might run into somebody else looking. Sure
enough, Joe Guinn was ahead of me, and looking in the area that he and Jeff
had the bird on Wednesday.

Joe hadn't seen the bird yet, in a couple of trips around the Lake. He was
out walking the area that it was seen a couple of days ago, but the bird
seems to have modified it's behavior, or worse, left. I had been scanning
trees in the Lake every sense I got there, with no sign of the bird.

Finally, after about 30 minutes of searching, I saw a speck of glowing red
sitting in a distant cypress across the Lake, looking towards the refuge
headquarters. At this time, the bird was changing perches every minute or
so, and I quickly lost it as it flew towards the other side of the Lake.

We went back around to the headquarters area, and the pavilion area, where
they had seen it go on Wednesday. We searched this area, with no luck. On
another pass around the lake, we stopped again on the far side, across from
the headquarters. While we were scanning this area, I once again saw the
fiery Vermilion, sitting out in the middle of the lake atop a Cypress. We
watched him in the scope for several minutes, but he was too far, with not
enough light left, to photograph.

Keep 'em coming Jeff!!

Good birding!!

(On another note, if anyone would like to read a trip report from my
"adventure" last week to Duluth, let me know and I'll email it.)

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx