[tn-bird] Valley Birds Data Base: collared doves

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:29:06 -0400

To:  Troy Ettel & TN-Birders

The following is data on collared doves which is in the
Valley Birds Net archives from 1995 until it closed in
Dec. 1999.

You can go to the website
http://list.audubon.org/archives/tn-bird.html
and read the archives of the 31 Tn-Birds messages
since Jan. 2000 which include a reference to the
"collared dove".

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN
------------------------
From: Frank Hixon
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 07:42:53 -0500
Subject: Chattanooga CBC

Here are some preliminary and unofficial results from the Chattanooga
Christmas Count. The count was held on Saturday, December 16th.  The count
total was 105 species.  Some highlights include:

Eurasian Collared Dove (resident population)

Frank Hixon
Chattanooga, TN
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:39:20 -0500
From: Kevin Calhoon
Subject: Birding in southeast TN

- EURASION-COLLARED DOVE - I observed one bird on some power lines about one
mile north of Pikeville (Bledsoe co.) on Upper East Valley road.  This is one
of the few sightings I know of outside of Chattanooga or Memphis. (I know Mark
Greene saw one in Gibson co. on 10/28/94 and there may be others).  I'm sure it
is the first record for Bledsoe co.

** If anyone has more info. on the status and sightings of collared doves in TN
I would appreciate it.  I know the history of our small population in
Chattanooga, but does anyone (Jeff) know the status of the Memphis population?
From: Kevin A. Calhoon
Subject: Birds in SE Tennessee
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 12:07:37 -0500

I birded various localities in Hamilton, Meigs and Bledsoe counties
[Tennessee] on February 1 and tallied eighty species.

Highlights included:

-Seven Eurasion-collared Doves at the farm on East Valley Road just
north of Pikeville (Bledsoe co.).  This is the highest number I have
seen at this site, and the most I have seen in Tennessee at one time.
------------------
From: Rick Knight
Subject: Rough-lg. Hawk / Eur. Collared Doves near Pikeville, TN
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:25:25 -0500

Before & after attending the TOS winter meeting in McMinnville
I birded the Sequatchie Valley area just north of Pikeville, TN,
where others had reported a light-morph Rough-lg. & a flock of
7 Collared-Doves.  I bumped into John Henderson on Friday (2-5)
and birded with David Trently on Sunday afternoon (2-7).

---graph clipped--------------
Later on Sunday (after David departed) I saw 9 Collared-Doves
at the first farm on the left out of Pikeville going N on East Valley
--------------
From: Terry Witt
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:35:16 EST
Subject: Eurasian Collared Doves (TN)

"They're Back!  On Saturday, 2 doves attracted my attention as I was teeing
off on # 10 at the Stones River Country Club [Murfreesboro, TN].  One started
singing, giving away his identity [Eurasian Collared Doves].  On Sunday, there
were at least 4 different birds present
in the area around the clubhouse to be.  I am guessing that they are forming a
colony and will nest in the area.  I don't think there are any confirmed nests
in the state as yet and I will try to find one if the birds stay in the same
spot.  They will be easy to find while singing if anyone is interested - the
club is on Highway 41 on the northeast side of town.
From: Jeff R. Wilson
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:30:54 EST
Subject: Re: Eurasian Collared Doves (TN)

Valleynet birders,

Shelby Co. Tenn.

        I have found Eurasian Collared Doves nesting in cedar, oak and had a
material carrying bird going into pine trees here in Memphis, Tenn. Their
numbers have grown and spread and I know multiple colonies, one large in
southeast Memphis and a small bunch in northwest Shelby Co. I have seen single
birds in various locations around the county, including a single on two
occasions in Ensley Bottoms. The ECD are here to stay. You should have Good
Luck on your nest quest Terry [Witt] as they nest many times a year and are
not too secretive in the process. I even have positive proof of breeding, an
X rated photo of a busy pair on a power line.
---------------------
From: Chris Sloan
Subject: golf courses and Collared Doves (TN)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 21:40:58 -0500 (CDT)

Last week, I was pleasantly surprised to read that Terry Witt found
several Eurasian Collared Doves while playing golf at Stones River
Country Club.

Well, in what has to be an amazing coincidence, today I was about to
tee off at the third hole at Pine Creek Golf Course in Mt. Juliet when
I saw a dove out of the corner of my eye.  I started to turn away, but
something made me turn back.  Guess what?  Eurasian Collared Dove.
Just the one seen, but others probably in the area.  I guess they're
spreading faster than we thought.
-------------

From: Jeff R. Wilson
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:24:39 EDT
Subject: Western Kingbird / Eurasian-collared Doves - West Tenn.

July 24, 1999
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. Tn.

        The family group of Western Kingbirds was again located at Ensley.
The young bird is still begging and getting some food from one parent. This
attending adult (tail wear is very different on the two adults) appears to be
the female while the other adult forages at a considerable distance. The male
was never seen to approach the others and fed from a station approximately
1/4 mile away. The young bird was seen flycatching on two occasions.

Ridgley
Lake, Co. Tn.

        I stopped at the Amoco Station in Ridgley to stock up on water before
going out to Is. 13. While getting back into my truck I heard the familiar
call of the Eurasian-collared Dove. I rounded the corner and watched a bird
fly from one of the light poles on the football field at the high school. The
tri-colored upper wing stood out as it banked behind the school and appeared
to land on the roof. In driving around the school, I discovered an adult pair
with a newly fledged young bird that flew from the roof of the school and
landed on the wires near the ball field.

        Anyone traveling through or around Ridgley should drive around the
school area to look for these birds. They have been seen in Ridgley and the
surrounding area over the past year and now seem to have settled down for a
little billing and coooing.........

From: Kevin A. Calhoon
Subject: Chattanooga sightings (TN)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 20:47:59 -0400

Libby Wolfe, Bonnie Johnson and I kicked around the wet fields at the
Brainerd Levee, Hamilton co, TN on October 16, some of the highlights
included:

- A new Chattanooga location for Eurasion-collared Dove was found on October
3.  Twelve were found at        the intersection of Riverside Drive and
Latta Road.