[TN-Bird] VERY DETAILED TOS SHADY VALLEY FORAY MOTELS, LOCATIONS

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 22:28:13 -0400

 TRAVEL INFORMATION TO TOS SHADY VALLEY FORAY 10-11- 12 JUNE:

    Shady Valley is in Johnson County, TN northeast corner of state.  It is
located between

    Bristol Tennessee and Mountain City, TN.  It is east of Abingdon, VA and
south of

    Damascus, VA.  From I-81 Va. you must drive U.S. 58 from I-81 thru
Damascus, VA

    and then south to Shady Valley.-- a distance from I-81 Exit 19 VA of 26
miles  45 minutes.

    It is 22 miles north of Elizabethton and 29 miles north of Johnson City.

    It is 23 miles east of Bristol Tennessee and 11 miles west of Mountain City

    If you take I-81 Exit 57A to I-26 east, drive 50 miles,  65 minutes thru
Johnson City & Elizabethton

            (take I-26 15 miles east to Exit 24 in Johnson City, then north US
321 to Elizabethton

             and 100 yards north on US 19E to TN Rt. 91 and then north on 91 to
Shady Valley)

   If you exit I-81  Exit 69 travel east on TN Rt. 394 for 13 miles to US 421
then south on US 421

            23 miles 36 minutes to Shady Valley (this route is 31 miles, 50
min. from I-81 to Shady Valley)..

  The best possible route to Mountain City, coming from Knoxville, is north on
I-81 into Virginia to

           I-81 exit 19 at Abingdon, onto US 58 east towards Damascus, Va.
Then watch

           for Mountain City sign out of Damascus, Va south back to Mountain
City.  Much great

           4-lane and high-quality roads, through the valley with no mountain
crossing, no cities

          and one small town, along a mountain trout stream from Damascus to
Mountain City

          This is probably about 26 miles and 45 minutes from Exit 19 of I-81
in Virginia.

HOTEL AND MOTEL DISTANCE AND TRAVEL TIMES GIVEN TO SHADY VALLEY:

In ELIZABETHTON, -- two motels and a number of eating places, including
fast-food restaurants

            1.     Americourt Hotel 1515  US 19E Bypass

                          Phone:  423-542-4466 URL americourthotel@xxxxxxxxx

                          Room Price -- TOS Shady Valley Foray group rate
$64.95 + Tax (per Teresa)

                          25 miles  46 minutes

           2.    Traveler's Inn, 505 West Elk Ave.

                         Phone: 423-543-3344

                         Room Price -- $59.00 + tax,  Senior rates -- $55.00 +
Tax

                         hot breakfast included  6 a.m. to 10 a.m.

                         24 miles  42 minutes

In MOUNTAIN CITY-two motels and a number of eating places, including fast-food
restaurants.

MOTELS-both are on or just off U.S. 421 south of the middle of town

1.       Mountain Empire Motel  1537 S. Shady St.  (Hwy 421)

Phone:  423-727-7777       URL:  MountainEmpireMotel.com

Room Price-regular room-2 queen size beds  ~$54 + tax

13 miles,  29 minutes drive

2.       Americourt Hotel  450 Dotson Lane  (just off Hwy 421)

            Phone:  423-727-7311   email:  frontdeskmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

            Room Price-regular room-2 double beds or 1 king  $69 + tax

                        (may be discounts for AARP or AAA)

            14 miles 30 minutes drive

In BRISTOL, TENNESSEE

       1.   Days Inn  536 Volunteer Parkway (also known as US11E)

                       Phone:  423-968-2171 tell them you are with birdwatchers

                      Room Price -- $54.95 +Tax 2 beds (two people)

                      26 miles   38 minutes  Indian nationality, trusted
community people.

                                                        brother owns Abingdon
Days Inn

In DAMASCUS, VIRGINIA (NO MOUNTAIN CROSSING TO SHADY VALLEY)

      1. Damascus Old Mill Inn, Restaurant, Pub

               PROPERTY CLOSED SUNDAY & MONDAY

               TALK TO THEM ABOUT CHECKOUT

              107 E Imboden St, Damascus, VA.

              Phone:  (276) 475-3745.

                 Price -- TOS Shady Valley Foray group rate $139 to $179

                 only 12 rooms in scenic old mill on mill pond

                 all rooms vacant at date of this post

                 elevator, wine and beer bar open till midnight.

                180 seat dinning room.

                13 miles   25  minutes

         2.  Many, many Damascus, VA  inns, bed & breakfast, cottages, cabins
and you name it.

             URL http://www.damascus.org/lodging.html

             make sure you are good on exact location from downtown Damascus,
Va.

             figure time and  distance from downtown Damascus to Shady Valley

             13 miles   25  minutes

In ABINGDON, VIRGINIA (NO MOUNTAIN CROSSING TO SHADY VALLEY)

     1.    Days Inn, 887 Empire Drive, at Exit 19 I-81 (Virginia)

              Phone:  276-628-7131

               Room Price -- $54.95 +Tax check for AARP rate

                      26 miles   42 minutes  Indian nationality, trusted
community people.

                                                             brother owns
Bristol Tennessee Days Inn

       2.       Quality Inns & Suites, 930 East Main St., at Exit 19 i-81
(Virginia)

                     Phone:  276-676-9090

                     Room Price:  $86.00 + Tax  (hot sitdown breakfast included)

                     Carefully check time breakfast is served so no surprise.

                     26 miles   42 minutes

      3.       Holiday Inn Express,  940 East Main St.,  at Exit  19  I-81
(Virginia)

                    Phone:  276-676-2829

                    Room Price:  $94.95 + Tax (all bells and whistle --
microwave, internet, pool, etc.)

                    26 miles    42 minutes

FOOD AND RESTAURANTS, ETC.

FOOD CITY grocery store, Damascus, VA., 14 miles,  25 minutes.

FOOD LION grocery store, Mountain City, TN  13 miles  29 minutes.

In SHADY VALLEY-two eating places-both at the intersection of U.S. Hwy 421 and
TN ST Hwys 133/91

RACEWAY RESTAURANT     Phone:  423-739-2499

Hours Thurs, Fri, Sat         7 a.m. to 8 p.m.    and Sun  8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

SHADY VALLEY GENERAL STORE-typical convenience store stock of snacks and drinks

Open  Thurs. & Fri.  6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ONLY GAS PUMP IN SHADY VALLEY)

         Sat.                   7 a.m. to 8 p,m,

         Sun.                  8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

         Lunch available   10:30 a.m. to about 6 or 6:30 p.m.

DAMASCUS VA -- several places to eat:

        Quincey's Pizza and Backyard Grill town's main street

        Phone:  276-5753

        13 miles   25 minutes

        Also Subway and ice cream shop, etc.

        Cowboy EXXON serves breakfast and has deli

MOUNTAIN CITY Eating Spots ALL ABOUT 13 miles   30 minutes

            1.  Tributary Restaurant    Phone:  423-727-415   in the downtown
area

                        Hours  Fri and Sat  11 a.m. to 9 p.m.,  Sun  11 a.m. to
3 p.m.

            2.  Cooks Cafeteria-right across from the Mountain Empire Motel

                        Hours:  Fri and Sat  11 a.m. to 8 p.m.,   Sun.  11 a.m.
to 2 p.m.

                        Phone  423-722-5430 Nextdoor to  Mountain Empire Motel

The following restaurants and fast-food places are all along Hwy 421 south of
the town center

in Mountain City  ALL ABOUT 13 miles   30 minutes:  :

            1.  Poblanos Mexican Grill   Hours  Fri, Sat & Sun:  11 a.m. to 9
p.m.

            2.  Panda Gardens-Chinese Food  Hours Fri & Sat  11 a.m. to 9:30
p.m.    Sun.  Noon to 9 p.m.

            3.  Subas   Lunch:  Fri, Sat, and Sun  11 a.m. to 1:50 p.m.

     Dinner:  Fri and Sat.  5 p.m. to 8:50 p.m.

4.  McDonalds  Dining Room Hours  4 a.m. to 12 p.m.  Drive-thru open 24 hours

5.  Burger King     Sunday  dining room open 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Fri, Sat  Dining room  6 a.m. to 11 p.m.  Drive-through open until midnight

6.       Hardees  Fri and Sat.  5 a.m. until 11 p.m.           Sun  6 a.m.
until 10 p.m.

7.       Subway     Fri.  7 a.m. to 10 p.m.,  Sat 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.,     Sun 9
a.m. to 10 p.m.

FOR MORE INFO EMAIL WALLACE COFFEY AT  wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or cell phone 423-360-2532