[TN-Bird] Re: Upper East TN. Eurasian Collared- Dove

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:08:58 -0400 (EDT)

To clarify, to my knowledge, there has been only one report ever of
Eurasian Collared-Dove in Knox County, TN.  Back in January 2000,
a man from Karns (sorry, don't have his name) in NW Knox Co.
reported to J.B. Owen that he had Eurasian Collared-Doves at his
feeder.  I BELIEVE someone went out and confirmed this sighting
but it has been a while.  Marcia Davis may know if there have
been more recent sightings.

The first record for Jefferson Co. was a single bird seen by
me on 13 Oct 1999.  They now seem to be fairly regular at
at least two locations around Jefferson City... one at a dairy
farm along Hwy 11-E on the west side of Jeff. City (where David
Trently found them) and the original site near a horse pasture
and large area of cornfields on the east side of town near my
parents' home (but not at their feeders yet).  I've been finding
them about every 2nd or 3rd time I look for them.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN