[TN-Bird] Upland and White-rumped Sandpiper, Dunlin - Coffee Co.

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 17:52:17 +0000

This morning I met Susan and Mac McWhirter at Bark Camp Barrens WMA in Coffee
Co. to scout it out for an upcoming NTOS field trip.  The storms last night
dropped birds on the sod farm.  Eleven species of shorebird, plus killdeer on
Bark Camp proper on the barren farm fields.

Spotted Sandpiper - 4
Solitary Sandpiper - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 28
Upland Sandpiper - 1
Dunlin - 1 (near full breeding plumage!)
Least Sandpiper - 15
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 5
White-rumped Sandpiper - 1
Pectoral Sandpiper - 2
Long-billed Dowitcher - 3

We also had Bobolinks flying around singing.  NO Henslow's Sparrows.  No
suitable habitat on Bark Camp Barrens as it is either too woody or was recently
burned.  Next year there will hopefully be good habitat.

We also swung by Woods Reservoir (Franklin Co.) at a couple spots and found:
Black tern - 1
Forster's Tern - 6
Common Tern - 1
Bank Swallow - 1
Insane numbers of cormorants and cattle egret on what's left of Little Elder
Island.

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist