[TN-Bird] Upland Sandpipers at Kingston Steam Plant

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <dollyron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:30:42 -0400

Tn-birders,
Sharon Bostick, Frank Bills, Dollyann Myers, and myself went to Kingston steam
plant (Roane County) today to see if the rain showers brought in any
shorebirds. We got there about 6:30 p.m. and at first didn't find much. All we
saw was a lone Great Egret and 3 Least Sandpipers. Sharon had even remarked
that something might just fly in while we were looking around. True to her
words, Dollyann saw a couple of large birds that at first we couldn't tell what
they were until they flew closer to us and we heard their calls and got a good
look at their plumages. It was a pair of Upland Sandpipers! They landed not far
from us on the embankment that separates the upper ponds from the lower ponds.
They stayed for a minute or so (out of sight from us) and then flew over to the
soccer fields for a while. While we were walking back to our cars, they got up
and flew back to the embankment again. That was the last we saw of them.
You just never know with birds..............
Great birding to all,
Ron Hoff
Clinton, Tn.