[TN-Bird] Upland Sandpipers, Coffee Co. (follow up)

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:55:43 +0000

Thanks to Daniel Estabrooks for posting that we refound 3 Upland Sandpipers
this morning at the Coffee Co. Sod Farm adjacent to Bark Camp Barrens WMA.

I always enjoy birding the sod farm as I've found odd birds out there over the
years from Forster's Terns to a flock of over 100 Cattle Egret.  While driving
the gravel road along the WMA/sod farm boundary, I flushed 2 Green Herons from
out in the recently plowed area of the sod farm.  I also found a few Bank and
Cliff Swallows over the sod farm.  The female-type Northern Harrier was still
present with 2 American Kestrels. There were over 100 Horned Larks scattered
around the area in various flocks.  Most were juveniles.  I later saw more Bank
Swallows and Tree Swallows on a wire on Warren Rd just west of the red barn at
the WMA.

I got lucky and had 2 Uplands only about 30m from the road when I drove up.  If
interested, I have posted a couple photos of Uplands, some Bank Swallows and a
juvenile Horned Lark here:
http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/image/145552435

Full list below:

Coffee County Sod Farm, Coffee, US-TN