[TN-Bird] Upland Sandpiper Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery

  • From: "Chuck/Lola Estes" <chucklola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:12:44 -0400

4/23/13, 4:15 to 5:10 pm

Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery, Anderson County, Clinton, TN

Dollyann Myers called me just after 3 pm to pass on the finding of an Upland
Sandpiper by Tony King today.  Not certain when Tony first saw the bird but
Dollyann and Ron had the sandpiper just after 3 pm today.  Lola and I found
the bird in the same area where Ron and Dollyann left it on the second dike
road on the left between the lower ponds.  Currently there is a lot of grass
mowing going on throughout the hatchery which is causing the bird to move
around but it seems to be tolerating the activity.  The bird was initially
with some Solitary Sandpipers but eventually moved along the roads and up
the high bank (recently mowed) to the dike road along the large uppermost
pond on the right of the main entrance road.

The bird could be anywhere in the grass around the hatchery so a complete
scan will likely be needed.  We also spoke with the Mike Smith, the manager,
and he indicated that this bird may have been here for the last two weeks.
Ron and Dollyann and Lola and I have been out there over that period and did
not see an Upland Sandpiper but the timing could have been off or it was a
different bird.   The weather will be changing to rain on Wednesday with
storms possible.  If anyone wants to look for this bird it may be better to
go out in the morning.  We also had 3 Spotted Sandpipers and 4 Solitary
Sandpipers at the ponds on the left along with Tree, Barn, Northern
Rough-winged, and Cliff Swallows cruising the ponds.

Thanks to Tony King for spotting and reporting the bird!   Good eyes Tony!

Chuck Estes

Oak Ridge, TN