[TN-Bird] Upcoming Rankin Festival and field trips

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:45:04 -0400 (EDT)

Wanted to remind everyone about the KTOS field trip to Rankin Bottoms
in Cocke Co. TN this Saturday, 23 August.  The lake levels on Douglas
aren't dropping according to "typical" years.  Looks like we will still
be at or just under 990 ft for the trip.  Unfortunately, that doesn't
bode too well for birding from shore.  There should be some shorebirds
present but they will be pretty distant from the main road.

Specifics:  We will try to leave from the Stokely Building on Cedar
Bluff Road in Knoxville at noon.  We will stop at the Hardee's at
Exit 417 on I-40 in Dandridge as a secondary meeting point around
12:45-1:00.  Bring food, drink, sunscreen, and shoes you can get muddy.
A lawn chair and scope are recommended.

The Greeneville TOS trip on Sunday, 31 August will probably have better
conditions.

On Saturday, 6 September 2003, there will be a "Rankin Festival" held
at Rankin Bottoms from 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM.  The goal of the event
is to highlight the importance on Rankin Bottoms as a wildlife refuge,
particularly to wading birds and migrating shorebirds.  Local government
officials and citizens are expected to attend.  Rick Knight and I have
agreed to be on-hand showcase the birds.  In a normal year, the lake
would probably be too low at this time for many birds but it looks
promising this year.  Plans for the event are still in development
but possible activities in addition to the birds include barbeque,
local and Native-American crafts, storytelling and acoustic music.
TOS and The Rankin Bottoms Project will have information booths setup.

I will lead a KTOS field trip to Rankin from Knoxville that morning.
Details will be in the KTOS newsletter and I will post them on TN-birds
as well once everything is finalized.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN