[TN-Bird] Upcoming NTOS/CTOS Field Trip

  • From: "Chloe Walker" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "chloebelle119@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 12:33:14 -0700 (PDT)

This Saturday, May 17, the Nashville and Chattanooga Chapters of the Tennessee
Ornithological Society will be having a joint field trip to Bark Camp Barrens
Wildlife Management Area. Susan McWhirter will be leading us around the WMA to
look for grassland birds such as Blue Grosbeaks, Prairie Warblers,
Yellow-breasted Chats, and more. We'll also check the sod farms for Horned
Larks, and possibly even shorebirds. Please note that there is a very slim
chance we will find any Henslow's Sparrows due to poor habitat for the species.
Depending on our success and the group's wishes, we may even check the nearby
country roads or Woods Reservoir for other interesting birds.

NTOS members:
If you are interested in carpooling from the Adventure Science Center in
Nashville, please be there promptly at 6:30 A.M. If you are interested in going
straight to the meeting place in Manchester, please be at the Holiday Inn
Express parking lot (behind the Starbucks; the address is 111 Hospitality
Boulevard) on exit 114 off I-24 around 7:45 A.M. Central Standard Time.
Directions to the Holiday Inn Express are easy: from I-24 East-bound, take exit
114 for US-41. Turn left onto Hillsboro Blvd./US-41 S/TN-2. By now you should
see the hotel ahead on the left. To get to the parking lot, turn left onto
Campground Road, then right on Hospitality Boulevard. Feel free to get some
coffee from Starbucks while you're waiting, but please be ready to leave for
the WMA NO LATER THAN 8:00 A.M. !

CTOS members:
Please meet us in Manchester at the Holiday Inn Express parking lot (behind the
Starbucks; the address is 111 Hospitality Boulevard) on exit 114 off I-24
around 7:45 A.M. Central Standard Time. Directions to the Holiday Inn Express
are easy: from I-24 West-bound, take exit 114 for US-41. Turn right onto
Hillsboro Blvd./US-41 S/TN-2. By now you should see the hotel ahead on the
left. To get to the parking lot, turn left onto Campground Road, then right on
Hospitality Boulevard. Feel free to get some coffee while you're waiting, but
please be ready to leave for the WMA NO LATER THAN 8:00 A.M. !

Attendees should bring bug spray and wear hiking boots and pants, for we will
be walking through fairly tall grass. A scope is not needed. The trip may last
just past noon (at the latest), so feel free to bring drinks, snacks, and
possibly even a lunch.

If the trip needs to be canceled for any reason, a post will be sent by Friday
evening.

***Get it on your calendars! The next NTOS field trip will be in
Rutherford/Wilson Counties on June 7, 2014, at 7:00 A.M.

Chloe Walker - NTOS Field Trip Coordinator
Murfreesboro, TN
( http://www.betterbirdhabitats.blogspot.com/ )