[TN-Bird] Re: Upcoming NTOS field trip -- J. Percy Priest Lake area

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:17:48 +0000

As an addition to the field trip on Saturday, I am willing to lead folks to
Cook Rec Area Saturday afternoon to watch the roost (assuming it isn't raining).

If you are interested, please email me directly at
scott.somershoe@xxxxxx<mailto:scott.somershoe@xxxxxx>   At this point, I would
plan to meet at the boat ramp/parking lot at Cook Rec Area and be ready to get
going by 3:45 pm.  A good scope is recommended, plus old shoes as we'll be
walking the shoreline, which is uneven rocks and gravel and may be a little
muddy in places.

Directions:
Cook Recreation Area
Take I-40 East from Nashville and take Exit 221B - Old Hickory Boulevard. Turn
right on Old Hickory Boulevard and travel approximately 1 mile to stop light at
Bell Road. Turn left on Bell Road and travel approximately 1 mile to stop
light. Turn right on New Hope Road and travel approximately 2 miles to Stewarts
Ferry Pike. Turn right on Stewarts Ferry Pike and travel approximately 1 mile
to Old Hickory Boulevard. Turn left on Old Hickory Boulevard and travel
approximately 1 1/2 mile to recreation area entrance.

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

On Saturday, January 21 Richard Connors will lead an NTOS trip to
some Percy Priest Lake sites to look for loons and other water
birds. Stops will include Percy Priest Dam, Cook Recreation Area,
and the Couchville Lake section of Long Hunter State Park to look
for Hooded Mergansers, etc. In the afternoon the group will proceed
around the lake to the "Merlin spot" at Anderson Road Recreation
Area.  Bring a lunch, snacks, and water, plus a spotting scope if
you have one. Dress warmly as it is often colder around water.
Meet at 7:30 am at the Adventure Science Center lower parking
area, or meet at the upper parking lot at the dam at 8 am.  The
outing will last a little over a half-day.

Frank Fekel
NTOS Field Trip

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency