[TN-Bird] Upcoming Knox Fall Count

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:57:27 -0400 (EDT)

The Knox County Fall Count will be held Sunday, 30 Sept 2012.  Please
contact me if you would like to participate.  Regular counters, please
also contact me to confirm whether or not you will be able to count.

Announcement from the KTOS newsletter is copied below as is the results
from the Knox County SPRING Count that I never posted online (and only
recently finished compiling).  I haven't adapted my compilation form for
recent taxonomy changes so sorry for the old order.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

Knox County Fall Count
Sunday, 30 Sept 2012

The annual Knox County Fall Bird Count will be held on Sunday,
30 September 2012.  Everyone is encouraged to participate by
joining a group in the field or counting birds in your own
backyard and neighborhood (for those living in Knox County).
For more information on how you can participate, if you would
like to join a group, or would like some suggestions on places
to count, please contact the compiler, Dean Edwards (see below
for contact information).  It is also very important to contact
the compiler if you normally work the count but are unable to do
so this year so that we can get someone else to cover your territory.

Please submit your count results to the compiler as soon as
possible.  There are no fees for participating in this count.
Please note, your results should include all of the following:

- a checklist including the tally for each species identified
- names of all participants with contact information for at
least one person
- location(s) you counted
- time of day you counted
- number of hours spent counting by foot, by car, and/or by boat
plus hours spent feeder/backyard watching and owling
- number of miles covered while counting by foot, by car and/or
by boat and miles covered while owling
- documentation including written details and photos (if
possible) of any rare species.

Compiler contact information:
Dean Edwards
kde@xxxxxxx
1615 Meadow Chase Ln, Knoxville  TN  37931
(C) 865-660-9701, (H) 865-560-9701

Knox County Spring Count
Sunday, 29 April 2012

Notes:
- Limited effort in urban areas leading to lower than normal numbers of
common species (starling, Rock Pigeon, etc)
- Brown-headed Nuthatch continue to prosper with essentially the same
number of reports as for White-breasted
Nuthatch
- 25 warbler species plus 3 during count week

Highlights:
Scaup sp.
Norhtern Bobwhite
Sora
Caspian and Forster's Terns
Horned Lark
Dark-eyed Junco (late)
Bobolink

Misses:
Broad-winged Hawk
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Barred Owl
Common Nighthawk
Bank Swallow
Nashville and Cananda Warblers
Palm, Blue-winged, and Tennessee Warbler (all CW only)

Weather:        Mostly sunny

High Temperature:       84 F
Low Temperature:        59 F
Precipitation:  0
Winds:  0-10 mph W

PARTY:  31 observers in 15-19 parties

PARTY HOURS:
by foot 65.20
by car  14.22
owling  1.00
feeder watching 16.75
  GRAND TOTAL   95.17

PARTY MILES:
by foot 49.65
by car  179.65
owling  0.00
  GRAND TOTAL   229.30

Start Time:     5:30
End Time:       20:00

SPECIES

 SWANS GEESE and DUCKS
 Canada Goose   122
 Wood Duck      38
 Gadwall        1
 Mallard        44
 Blue-winged Teal       14
    scaup sp.   1

 PARTRIDGES GROUSE and TURKEYS
 Wild Turkey    5

 QUAIL
 Northern Bobwhite      5

 CORMORANTS
 Double-crested Cormorant       21

 BITTERNS and HERONS
 Great Blue Heron       69
 Great Egret    CW
 Green Heron    9
 Black-crowned Night-Heron      3

 AMERICAN VULTURES
 Black Vulture  10
 Turkey Vulture 31

 KITES HAWKS EAGLES and ALLIES
 Osprey 16
 Bald Eagle     3
 Sharp-shinned Hawk     CW
 Cooper's Hawk  3
 Red-shouldered Hawk    6
 Red-tailed Hawk        13

 CARACARAS and FALCONS
 American Kestrel       2

 RAILS GALLINULES and COOTS
 Sora   1
 American Coot  1

 PLOVERS and LAPWINGS
 Killdeer       31

 SANDPIPERS PHALAROPES and ALLIES
 Solitary Sandpiper     22
 Spotted Sandpiper      15
 Least Sandpiper        5

 SKUAS GULLS TERNS and SKIMMERS
 Caspian Tern   2
 Forster's Tern 4

 PIGEONS and DOVES
 Rock Pigeon    29
 Mourning Dove  188

 CUCKOOS ROADRUNNERS and ANIS
 Yellow-billed Cuckoo   3

 TYPICAL OWLS
 Eastern Screech-Owl    1
 Great Horned Owl       2

 GOATSUCKERS
 Chuck-will's-widow     1

 SWIFTS
 Chimney Swift  50

 HUMMINGBIRDS
 Ruby-throated Hummingbird      3

 KINGFISHERS
 Belted Kingfisher      11

 WOODPECKERS and ALLIES
 Red-bellied Woodpecker 84
 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker       1
 Downy Woodpecker       26
 Hairy Woodpecker       7
 Northern Flicker       20
 Pileated Woodpecker    5

 TYRANT FLYCATCHERS
 Eastern Wood-Pewee     9
    Empidonax sp.       3
 Eastern Phoebe 33
 Great Crested Flycatcher       14
 Eastern Kingbird       38

 VIREOS
 White-eyed Vireo       15
 Yellow-throated Vireo  2
 Blue-headed Vireo      2
 Warbling Vireo 3
 Red-eyed Vireo 63

 JAYS MAGPIES and CROWS
 Blue Jay       152
 American Crow  142

 LARKS
 Horned Lark    1

 SWALLOWS
 Purple Martin  22
 Tree Swallow   36
 Northern Rough-winged Swallow  41
 Cliff Swallow  151
 Barn Swallow   129

 TITMICE and CHICKADEES
 Carolina Chickadee     108
 Tufted Titmouse        106

 NUTHATCHES
 White-breasted Nuthatch        14
 Brown-headed Nuthatch  13

 WRENS
 Carolina Wren  167
 House Wren     9

 KINGLETS
 Ruby-crowned Kinglet   3

 OLD WORLD WARBLERS and GNATCATCHERS
 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  29

 THRUSHES
 Eastern Bluebird       132
 Veery  CW
 Swainson's Thrush      2
 Wood Thrush    29
 American Robin 295

 MOCKINGBIRDS THRASHERS and ALLIES
 Gray Catbird   14
 Northern Mockingbird   190
 Brown Thrasher 65

 STARLINGS and ALLIES
 European Starling      285

 WAXWINGS
 Cedar Waxwing  228

 WOOD-WARBLERS
 Blue-winged Warbler    CW
 Tennessee Warbler      CW
 Northern Parula        8
 Yellow Warbler 12
 Chestnut-sided Warbler 3
 Magnolia Warbler       3
 Cape May Warbler       6
 Yellow-rumped Warbler  51
 Black-throated Green Warbler   13
 Blackburnian Warbler   1
 Yellow-throated Warbler        2
 Pine Warbler   7
 Prairie Warbler        1
 Palm Warbler   CW
 Bay-breasted Warbler   2
 Blackpoll Warbler      1
 Cerulean Warbler       3
 Black-and-white Warbler        6
 American Redstart      1
 Prothonotary Warbler   2
 Worm-eating Warbler    6
 Ovenbird       8
 Northern Waterthrush   3
 Louisiana Waterthrush  4
 Kentucky Warbler       2
 Common Yellowthroat    79
 Hooded Warbler 15
 Yellow-breasted Chat   20

 TANAGERS
 Summer Tanager 11
 Scarlet Tanager        27

 NEW WORLD SPARROWS and ALLIES
 Eastern Towhee 136
 Chipping Sparrow       23
 Field Sparrow  72
 Savannah Sparrow       15
 Song Sparrow   141
 Swamp Sparrow  1
 White-throated Sparrow 18
 Dark-eyed Junco        1

 CARDINALS BUNTINGS and GROSBEAKS
 Northern Cardinal      286
 Rose-breasted Grosbeak 12
 Blue Grosbeak  13
 Indigo Bunting 113

 BLACKBIRDS and ORIOLES
 Bobolink       2
 Red-winged Blackbird   181
 Eastern Meadowlark     51
 Common Grackle 197
 Brown-headed Cowbird   88
 Orchard Oriole 36
 Baltimore Oriole       8

 FINCHES
 House Finch    85
 American Goldfinch     94

 OLD WORLD SPARROWS
 House Sparrow  43

Total species:  127 + 6 CW
Total individuals:      5386.00
Birds per party hour (CBC):     67.82
Birds per party hour (ALL):     56.60

OBSERVERS:
Jean Alexander
Robin Barrow
Frank Bills
Sharon Bostick
Kevin Burke
Howard Chitwood
Gail Clendenen
Steve Clendenen
K. Dean Edwards (compiler)
Chuck Estes
Lola Estes
Carole Gobert
Angela Hoffman
Tom Howe
Susan Hoyle
Bethany Jett
Trent Jett
David Johnson
Kris Johnson
Tony King
Ed Manous
Seth McConchie
Truett Patterson
Talissa Ralph
Kelly Roy
Martha Rudolph
Michael Ryon
Kurt Sickafus
Keith Watson
June Welch
Chris Welsh

             2012 FALL MEETING AND SYMPOSIUM AT NASHVILLE
                            October 12-14
The Nashville Chapter of the TOS will host TOS members and all other interested
birders to the Fall Meeting and Symposium on October 12-14, 2012. The host
hotel is the Baymont Inn, 111 Penn Warren Drive, Brentwood, TN 37027. call
1-615-376-4666 to make a reservation.  For more details:
           http://www.tnbirds.org/downloads/warbleraug12.pdf

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clemson, SC

                       MAP RESOURCES