[TN-Bird] Unconfirmed Brown Pelican sighting

  • From: Sharon Monett <sbm4him@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 20:11:36 -0400

Had a friend (who is NOT a birder) contact me about 7 pm tonight to say she
thinks she saw a Brown Pelican in South Knox County. I know they are really
rare here, AND it was in a very odd spot for a pelican...BUT she did
describe it pretty well and it certainly sounded like a Brown Pelican, and
with the storms this morning, it seems like a good time for one to get
blown off course.

Anyway, it was in a retention pond on Tipton Station Road, near Neubert
Springs Road (just a bit past South Doyle High School, on the left).

As soon as she called, I went out and drove Tipton Station Road several
times, and didn't find it, but I think it had been several hours since
she'd seen it.

Some of you *real* birders may be able to make decent guesses about places
it might head from there, so be on the watch!

Sharon Monett
South Knox County