[TN-Bird] UPCOMING EVENTS - BIRDING FIELD TRIP & SILENT AUCTION by Knoxville TOS

  • From: VolKathy <volkathy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:24:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hello fellow birding enthusiasts -

One of the greatest benefits of coordinating a silent auction is the priviledge
of being in
a position to get a "sneak peek" at all the items.  I just got SO EXCITED when
working this
evening on compiling the listing of donated items that I just had to share our
good fortune
with all TN-Bird subscribers.

For those TN-Birds subscribers who are not within driving distance of Knoxville
it is OK to
hit "delete" now.  If you can get here within a half - day's drive, I certainly
hope that
you make the journey and join us on Friday evening this week and Saturday
morning for some
great birding.  Here are the details!

Auction to Benefit Tennessee Birds and Wildlife Friday evening  - Field Trip
Saturday

What: Silent Auction
Benefits: J. B. Owen Memorial Fund (80%)  & Ijams Nature Center (20%)
Date: Friday evening, April 22
Where: Ijams Nature Center - Knoxville (see http://www.ijams.org for driving
directions)
Time: 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Speaker:  7:00 PM - 8:00 PM Sam Venable (local columnist, author and humorist)
and his wife
Mary Ann Venable (master gardener)

If you are not familiar - the J.B. Owen Award was established by the Knoxville
Chapter TOS
in memorium of JB Owen.  The fund is open to anyone with a project that
promotes the welfare
and conservation of birds in Tennessee.  Several grants have already been
awarded by the
committee overseeing the fund.  Eighty-percent of the proceeds will go directly
to this
fund.  The remaining 20% of the proceeds will go to Ijams Nature Center as we
are using
their facility at no charge for the evening. If you are not familiar with Ijams
Nature
Center - please see their web site for more information and driving directions.

This year, we have been really fortunate to have 130 separate auction items
donated.  The
items are nature or bird related and range from BRAND NEW to GENTLY LOVED to
WELL LOVED - several books have been donated by long-time KTOS member (and
state-wide officer) Dev Joslin and Harriet Joslin.  If you are not acquainted
with the Joslins they took off last year and are presently enjoying their
retirement south of the border.  Before permanently moving to Central America
they culled through their extensive library and left 27 books and maps with Dan
& Laurie Mooney to be donated to the silent auction (thanks Joslins!).  Frances
Owen has graciously donated a tee shirt belonging to the late J. B. Owen.
(thanks, Frances)  Many other members have donated generously from their
households and some businesses have donated brand new items.

Some members have also generously purchased and donated brand new items.  We
even have several talented members who are artists and have created original
works of art and
photography! (thanks to everyone!)

I will be glad to forward a listing of all the items off-line to anyone who is
interested in
a sneak peek.  We have no accomodations to take phone or absent-buyer bids at
this time -
you must be present to bid (sorry).  If you live in another part of the state
however and
are personally acquainted with a Knoxville member who will be attending perhaps
they can bid
AND PAY on your behalf.

I AM ISSUING A CHALLENGE to our closest neighbors in the BRISTOL CHAPTER,
HERNDON CHAPTER, GREENVILLE CHAPTER and the CHATTANOOGA CHAPTER to make a
showing at our event.  (you can call in sick Friday with that Avian FLU) If you
are coming from middle and west TN you can make a weekend out of it because the
very next morning we are having a FIELD TRIP at Sharp's Ridge Memorial Park in
Knoxville.  If you are not familiar with Sharps Ridge it is an excellent venue
for migrating warblers and other song birds.  A good time will be had by all!

If you have any questions, you can contact me directly off-line or by phone
865-983-7349.  I
will be glad to send you a list of the items in the auction by email.  I can
also provide you out-of-towners with hotel suggestions in the area.
Hope to see you all here!
Kathy Bivens
Secretary
Knoxville Chapter TOS
Maryville TN - Blount County

Kathy Bivens

"Would those of you in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you,
if you'll just rattle your jewelry."

   -- John Lennon English singer & songwriter (1940 - 1980)