[TN-Bird] Two Yellow-billed Loons at Pace Point, TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx,ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Clayton_Ferrell@xxxxxxx,Robert_Wheat@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 23:43:13 EST

March 6-7, 2004
Pace Point Area
Tennessee NWR
Big Sandy Unit
Henry Co. TN
There are now TWO Yellow-billed Loons gracing the area around Pace Point,
yesterday I discovered an immature bird to go along with the 2nd winter bird
that
I found on Feb. 21. I believe they represent the 3rd and 4th TN sightings for
the species. At least 5 Red-throated and 2 Pacific Loons are still being seen
along with about 200 Common Loons.

After looking Friday afternoon in the rain and all day Saturday on the TN
River side of the Point, without finding the original YB Loon, I decided we
might
check on the Big Sandy side of the Point, even though we had had very few
loons feeding there over the last two weeks. The first bird in my scope at
Rocky
Point, proved to be one of the 5 Red-throated Loons followed shortly by a
Pacific Loon and a group of 5 Common Loons. Another bird appeared that look odd
but we had complete cloud cover and the loon was pretty far out. The bill did
not appear to be overly large and was not yellow in that light, but it had a
thick neck and ear spot. The search image in my head was for a big blocky head
and huge solid yellow bill like those on the YB Loon that had been hanging
around the TN River side for 2 weeks.

After ticking off the field marks and then having the sun peek through, I
realized the bird was an immature Yellow-billed Loon. After looking for a YB in
TN for over 15 years, I now had the second one in just a week.

This bird was as cooperative as the other YB had been uncooperative, it
stayed up and cruised around until we left it 2 hours later. Over the times I
watched the bird on Saturday and Sunday, it dove only one time. It also
continually
turned its head and gazed up, even at airplanes flying over. The bird might
have put on all the fat it needs and does not need any extra weight in its gut
before it continues its travels.

On Sunday morning, much to our surprise, we relocated the first Yellow-billed
Loon as usual out from Pace Point and then rushed to check on the young bird
to confirmed both were there at the same time. They are as different as day
light and dark in the way they look and act.

During one period on Sunday morning, I photographed all 4 species in less
than 15 minutes and at one time we could just swivel our scopes around and get
all four without moving. I took a lot of photos and will post them soon.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN