[TN-Bird] Turkeys and Meadowlarks

  • From: Tanager5556@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:21:43 EST

Yesterday my wife and I had to stop in the middle of a county road because
we couldn't believe what we were seeing.  In a pasture we saw two  large groups
of wild turkeys.  While I watched the rear view mirror she  counted the
turkeys.  Her count was 63.  Two toms were strutting with  tails fanned out.
While
we are used to seeing turkeys on this road we had  never seen more the 25 or
so at one time.  We drove on and about 1/2 mile  later on our left in another
field we saw two more groups of turkeys.   The count there was around 30.  One
group was packed together so tightly  they were hard to get an accurate count
on.  So in a few minutes we  had over 90 wild turkeys.  This afternoon in the
pasture across from out  house I noticed some Meadowlarks.  A quick count
through binoculars yielded  over 50 colorful Meadowlarks.  It was neat to see
such large numbers of  both wild turkeys and Meadowlarks in a couple of days.

J. Marty Paige
Cleveland , TN
SW Bradley County