[TN-Bird] Turkey Creek Wetland, west Knox County

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:10:09 -0500

I hadn't been back to the Turkey Creek Wetland Park and Greenway in west Knox
County since October 30 and found some nice surprises when I walked it for the
Knoxville CBC yesterday, January 2.  Mark Campen and the Izaak Walton League
have apparently been busy there this winter.  I found that the overgrown brush
in front of the bench has been cleared so it is now again possible to sit on
the bench and see the creek.  (It was on that bench that I was sitting a couple
of years ago on a CBC when a Barred Owl flew in and landed on a stump in the
creek.  No owl showed up yesterday but if one had, I would have been able to
see it).  Brush has likewise been trimmed back from the original chip trail and
there is a brand new trail now through the wetland along the back of the
businesses on the south side of the walk (McDonald's, IHOP etc.).  And I'm not
sure how they did it but there is a lot more water in the wetland than has been
there the past couple of years.  In spite of the added water I had to go a bit
farther north to the Blue Springs area off Gilbert Road to find any ducks
(Gadwalls, Mallards and a female Lesser Scaup, along with Coots).

My nicest surprise was a flock of six White-Crowned Sparrows foraging along the
paved path just a few feet east of the exercise station on the greenway.  Only
the second time I've seen that species there, the first time being my last
visit October 30 when I found just one.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN