[TN-Bird] Tuesday afternoon, Austin Springs, Wash. Co.

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:17:05 -0500

Gilbert Derouen, Reece Jamerson and Bryan Stevens birded at Austin
Springs in Washington County on Tuesday, March 21, the first full day
of spring.

Good finds included 12 Pectoral Sandpipers and two Barn Swallows (2) on
the mudflats.

We also met Rick Knight in the Humphreys' pasture as we returned from
the mudflats. Rick had located two Pectoral Sandpipers (part of the
flock we saw fly away from the flats?) and we all got to look at the
birds in a spotting scope.

Also present was a mixed flock of Rusty Blackbirds, Red-winged
Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds, European Starlings and American
Robins.

Other birds included Tree Swallows, American Kestrel, American Wigeon
(2), Canada Geese and Mallards.

Rick told us about good birds at Musick's Campground at South Holston
Lake in Sullivan County, and we proceeded to travel there for looks at
Common Loons, Eared Grebes and Horned Grebes in breeding plumage.

We also stopped at the Weir Dam at Osceola Recreation Area. Good birds
there included Green-winged Teal, Hairy Woodpecker (2) and Hermit
Thrush.

Heavy rain interrupted a visit to Middlebrook Lake in Bristol, and we
didn't find the Common Merganser drake Rick had reported as still being
present.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN