[TN-Bird] Triplex woodpecker tree

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:22:17 EDT

Good morning TN birders,
As usual, here in the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville just a few blocks
west of the old Cleece's Ferry, there is a good bit of activity in my yard,
especially around the "smorgabird," but in other areas as well.

A couple of years ago, an ample ash tree in my back yard began to die.  It
has met its demise and is fully deceased by now, although the interior
seemingly
has not rotted out enough to be "easy peckings." Be as it may, three species
of woodpeckers have started working on holes in it.  Are they planning ahead
for next year or the year after?  At any rate, the first bird to go after this
tree was a downy woodpecker which started a hole very near the top of a trunk
stub facing north toward my deck.  About two weeks later, I heard heavier
pecking and looked outside to see a flicker furiously working at a hole about
12
to 14 feet below the downy's doings and facing east.  Two days later, a
different rhythm and pitch in pecking attracted me to a hairy woodpecker that
was
hurriedly hollowing a hole on the west side of the tree trunk about half way
between the other two.  All birds have been seen pecking  periodically at their
own specific holes, and one morning the flicker and the hairy were working away
in harmony just 5 or 6 feet from each other on opposite sides of the tree
trunk.  Usually, hairy is my early morning bird, flicker hits in around 10 AM
and
the little downy is likely to be up there most any time of day.  Downy has a
nest elsewhere and is taking peanut butter away in his beak from the feeder as
well.  These birds all seem to do more drilling daily and probably are finding
nice insects as well as possibly preparing homes for future use.  I've
already seen chickadees inspecting downy's digs when downy is away.  Although
I've
seen him about two trees away, I have never seen downy go to the ash tree when
hairy is on it.  Suppose he is intimidated by his larger "near look alike?"

Meanwhile, under my deck in the carport, a house wren is occupying the gourd
in which the Carolina nested two years ago.  I can sneak by the wren to get
into my car, but when I back the car out, she peeks out the hole at me and
flies
into the grape vine which has created its own version of the "hanging gardens
of Babylon" over my deck.  When I return home and pull into the carport, she
flies out again.  Although I cannot see any eggs for all the nesting material
in the gourd, she must be sitting.  She's been in there for over 10 days.  HE
sings to her almost constantly from early AM until late PM.  What a nice
couple.  I've never known of nesting house wrens here before, so I eagerly
anticipate babies.

Three mockingbird families have successfully dispersed although I was
concerned about one "late bloomer" who apparently was forced to learn to eat by
itself even though it was still begging from its parents long past time for it
go.  They kept ignoring it, and it finally began to gorge itself before going
away.  I believe all three sets are parent mockingbirds are on eggs again.  It
appears that adults are once again feeding EACH OTHER.

Although I do not know where they are nesting, I have field sparrows who
brought their babies again this year.  Cardinals are plentiful with seven males
and seven females showing up for sunflower seeds, but I've seen no little
"black
bills" with them recently.  One family has already successfully nested, but
the young apparently dispersed very quickly.  Blue jays are feeding young in a
neighbor's tree.  The young robin that "made it" has gone.

So much for the bird families' follies.  I'm enjoying how nature recreates
itself yearly!

Happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN