[TN-Bird] Tribute

  • From: Chad Smith <kingbird09@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:24:16 -0600

Having just read the words of Jeff Wilson posted by Jud Johnston, this is going
to seem like a First Grade book report.  Here goes. What a day!  Started the
morning with the Harlequin Duck at Kingsport.  It was diving in the rapids near
some geese and other ducks.  Fun to watch.  Lifer #1 in the bag.  From there, I
drove to the Webb Road location in Chattanooga.  From the vantage point above
the lake, just past the gated driveway, found the Red-necked Grebe, which was
lifer #2 and really the only other objective I had today.  But that location
had a lot more to give.  The Western Grebe eventually came into view and stayed
a while.  Red-throated Loon put in a brief appearance.  A most unexpected Eared
Grebe was there, too, making five grebes present, all in the same field of view
at one point.  Magic!  (Eared was a new state bird) I was inspired to go out
today by someone who posted a message along the line of "go out this weekend
with the Jeff Wilson spirit."  So this day's birding is my tribute.  I put in a
lot of hours.  Thought of him all day.  Even ate Subway.  It was a good day for
these great birds to cooperate, and I'm sure it's the last time I'll ever get
three new TN birds in a day (unless there's another hurricane!) Jeff talked
about how badly he wanted to add another state bird to his TN list.  I hoped to
be able to call him at some point and say, "Guess what?"  Well, that can't
happen, so today was the best I could do.  RIP Best, Chad SmithMurfreesboro, TN