[TN-Bird] Tremont MAPS banding

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ken@xxxxxxxxx, amber@xxxxxxxxx, paul_super@xxxxxxx, carey_jones@xxxxxxx, kristine_johnson@xxxxxxx, michelle@xxxxxxxxx, gradyamann@xxxxxx, marka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sawbriar3@xxxxxxx, ekhene00@xxxxxxxxxx, raygirl2003@xxxxxxx, hurricane730@xxxxxxxxxxx, hyong_x@xxxxxxxxx, Hamorrow@xxxxxxxxx, alexw885@xxxxxxx, taylor.Rinehart@xxxxxxx, saucier@xxxxxxxxxxx, Gar2d2@xxxxxxxxxxx, secristr@xxxxxxxxx, keanator@xxxxxxxxxxx, susiestout@xxxxxxxxxxx, jennifer_pierce@xxxxxxx, keith_Langdon@xxxxxxx, cruisers76@xxxxxxxxxxx, embracelife@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lccoolcats@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, spains@xxxxxxxxxxx, kjotn3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, keepblo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lbulluck@xxxxxxx, lanidani@xxxxxxxxxxx, ellrose@xxxxxxxxxxx, threebearsgifts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lprdk843@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jejones@xxxxxxxxxx, ameyers5@xxxxxxxxxxx, ameyers@xxxxxx, TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:41:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

The third day of MAPS banding at Tremont was a unique one.  Louisiana
Waterthrush (LOWA) was the only species captured.  Eleven individuals
(two of them recaptures) were caught in the nets today.  All but one
were juvenile birds.  This is the only time in over 40 banding days
we have ever caught more than ten birds, and had only one species.

The day was particularly unique for one of our band-aids, Keane, who
removed his first (and second) bird from the net today.  At 13 years
old, he is one of the youngest to extract a bird from a net at
Tremont.

The station was also visited by middle school volunteers from St.
Mary's School and participants from Tremont's Smoky Mountain Science
Teacher Institute, who joined us on net runs and observed the banding
process.

We have now captured 25 LOWAs this season.  It looks like we may have
a record year for this species, as we have already surpassed our
yearly Louisiana Waterthrush totals for 2002 and 2003 (the latter
year included a big flood which likely reduced breeding success).  In
terms of totals for all species, we just happen to be even with last
year at 36 total captures.

Another interesting pattern is that we have captured nine new birds
(not recaptures or unbanded birds) at every session this year so far.

The weather was overcast all day, and periods of light rain caused us
to briefly close and then re-open several nets.

The next Tremont banding day is June 25.  Nets open at 6:20.

Gar