[TN-Bird] Tremont Institute M.A.P.S. Station

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:18:55 EDT

30 JUN 04
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN
.
Naturalist Charlie Muise (CHMU) played host to Bristol Bird Club members
Carol Cross and me at the Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship
(M.A.P.S.) bird banding station at Tremont. During our 6 hour visit Charlie had
us
actively engaged with the station proceedings along with some institute staff
and
volunteers. This motivated group made us feel right at home walking the net
lanes and taught us a great deal about processing birds trapped in the stations
numerous mist nets.
Louisiana Waterthrush (LOWA) was the most popular species of the day with new
and recaptured birds totaling eight specimens. A single Carolina Wren was
banded and a Ruby-throated Hummingbird was netted and released. Not a bad day
at
all for this station that is low in volume of total birds, yet, a national
leader for Louisiana Waterthrush.
Also observed were a Copperhead and a Little Brown or Ground Skink.
BTW, Cades Cove was loaded with Wild Turkey and of course White-tailed Deer.
We saw a single Black Bear cub cross the road near Dan Lawson's Place.
It's great to visit the Smokies from time to time. Special thanks to Charlie
for being such a hospitable and knowledgeable host.
.
'Til we bird again
.
Rack Cross