[TN-Bird] Tree Swallows Arrive/ Campbell and Scott Counties, TN- Loon

  • From: James M Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:41:27 -0500

CAMPBELL AND SCOTT COUNTIES,  TN

In the gusty winds today it was difficult to check Cove Lake State Park,
(Campbell County, TN)   for incoming Spring arrivals, but we did manage a
short walk on the way to an appointment,  and found 4 TREE SWALLOWS.
According to my "ebird" yearly records, the first arrivals the past 6
years were on March 6th or later. Several Ring-Billed Gulls were blowing
about, and this is the first time in 6 years they have stayed daily all
winter.

A quick drive to check a few lakes/ ponds in SCOTT COUNTY, TN also
produced some nice birds. TREE SWALLOWS  (4) were at the Oneida City Park
as well as a lone BONAPARTES GULL, my first for that  county. Tree
Swallows were also seen over Lake Elizabeth which is a short distance
from the first mentioned lake.
REDHEAD DUCKS- 15 along with 70+  RING-NECKED DUCK were also on this
lake, along with a very probable GREATER SCAUP.  I do not have time to
write details on this duck tonight, but have field notes. It was
disturbing that the winds were so strong that a picture was just not
possible, or at least not one that would be
good enough to identify it with all the waves/ movement  on the lake. We
watched this duck for about 30 minutes noting several field marks- size
etc. in comparison to the Ring-Necks.  I am aware of the difficulty in
identifying the Greater from the Lesser Scaup, and will return to try to
take pictures. I hope she stays around.

A quick drive through   the Huntsville Water  reservoir yielded my first
COMMON LOON there and 15 AMERICAN WIGEON. An EASTERN PHOEBE was calling
at the entrance.

Nell and Jimi Moore
Caryville, TN