[TN-Bird] Tower Kills

  • From: "Rad Mayfield" <rad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Tn-Bird'" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 10:53:09 -0400

I remember going out with my dad in the early 70's and picking up birds near
Columbia under towers on this one hilltop.  It was sad to see so many dead.
In the current day and time, it would seem a simple task and not too
expensive to light the support wires with strings of LED's.  This would not
be so bright as to cause disturbance or "light pollution" but might just be
enough to help prevent birds from hitting the wires by allowing them to veer
off at the last second.  What do ya'll think?

G. Rad Mayfield, III

East Rutherford High School

Forest City, NC