[TN-Bird] Today's KTOS Jay Walk in Knoxville

  • From: "Jay Sturner" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "flowerpetalsonthecreek@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 00:08:50 +0000 (UTC)

Five sleepy birders attended this morning's Jay Walk (Owls,
Chucks and Wampus Cats) at Forks of the River for a fun time beneath the hazy
half moon. No Wampus cat sightings (though I did feel a presence), but we did
hear a pack of howling coyotes off in the distance. Shortly thereafter we found
ourselves being serenaded by a boisterous gathering of amphibians--Cope's Gray
Treefrogs, Spring Peepers, Green Frogs, American Toads, and a flatulent
Creature from the Black Lagoon--but the highlight had to be the pair of Great
Horned Owls hooting ominously in a mist-shrouded stand of oaks just beyond the
old silo. Not far off a Chuck-will's-widow called, creating a truly mesmerizing
experience. Unfortunately we didn't find Screech or Barred Owls, though at one
point a dark apparition flew noiselessly behind us, allowing only a brief look.
We surmised it was too small for Great Horned or Barred, and too big for
Screech… Hmm, Wampus Owl? Guess we'll never know.

As the dawn chorus rose in volume with the joining-in of
waking birds, and just as the sky began to put color back into the landscape,
it was decided that the birding should not cease! So three brave souls
continued the walk into parts known and lots of great things were seen.
Highlights include Northern Bobwhite, Osprey, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Wood
Thrush, Yellow-breasted Chat, Blue Grosbeak, tons of Field Sparrows and Indigo
Buntings, a Cecropia Moth laying a batch of eggs, and my first Horsehair Worm!

Thanks to everyone who came along for the walk and endured
my stupid jokes. It was really fun!

Jay Sturner
Knoxville, TN
Knox Co.