[tn-bird] To a Phoebe Dying Young: A Cautionary Tale

  • From: EGLEAVES@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 18:12:47 EDT

I don't know what it is about phoebes that endears them to us.  Perhaps it's
their quiet grace as flycatchers; perhaps it's their approachability; perhaps
it's their attentiveness to their young and their nests.

At least so I thought until Bob Sargent set me straight on the latter point.
In any case, we have enjoyed watching a pair of phoebes raise two broods on
our back porch this summer, five in the first litter, four in the second.
After the first brood, I took down the nest and cleaned around it, only to
watch them return in a few days and construct a new nest on the same beam
above a light on our covered back porch.

As for the baby bird out of the nest to which Bob responded so informatively,
a few minutes after I sent the message last night I noted that it had made
its way across the porch to the very edge, with a ten-foot fall to concrete
below.  It appeared to be ready to leap when I decided to grab it, as gently
as I could--too gently, it seems, for he wriggled loose and fell to his death
on the rocks below.

When I checked on their offspring, the parent birds scolded me mercilessly
and deservedly, making me feel even worse than I did about the matter.
Today, they've returned to their duties with the remaining chicks and life
goes on.  Minus one.

Ed Gleaves
Nashville, TN