[TN-Bird] Thousands of Sandhill Cranes at Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:35:28 -0800 (PST)

Even though large numbers of sandhill cranes were migrating to the south this
morning, late this afternoon I saw the largest number of cranes at Hiwassee
Wildlife Refuge in Meigs County at Birchwood that I've seen so far this season.
I didn't see any whooping cranes today. After the heavy rains of Sunday and
Monday, the normal shallow water "roosting areas" of the cranes are flooded. At
dark the cranes were still circling as if looking for safe roosts. I wonder
where they roost under these circumstances.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN