[TN-Bird] Thoughts on Rutherford Co, Swan

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:30:54 -0500 (EST)

http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/rutherford_co_swan_29_dec_11

Scott  Somershoe

Sorry, I've been running the roads lately, mainly looking at  every sparrow
flock I could find and just getting back and settling in to look  at photos.

Taking all of Scott's photos, I photoshop adjusted size,  contrast and
lightened etc. I see no field mark, bill size/shape (both species  can have
slightly concave upper mandible) , nare location, head bill ratio,  body length
to neck ratio, curve of feathering from eye to bill, curve of back,  major
body axis, and details given by observers, taken as whole, most if not  all
point to Tundra.

As Mike Todd commented, the shape of the feathering between  the eyes and
bill develops only fully in adulthood but also the angle at which  the head
is viewed straight on changes this look from V to U, to a straight line  as
the head is tilted but usually a good mark if seen well. Can be a good
indicator on full adults but said not to be 100% diagnostic. Next  time, just
grab one of these babies and measure the distance from the bill tip  to the
nare or the width of the foot, both should  be diagnostic;o)

As far as hybrid, the bird just does not look much like a  hybrid or at
least nothing far out of normal variations. A few years back when I  was
chasing every swan, photographing and measuring heads, bodies and  necks  from
enlarged shots, I had a few conversations by phone with  the head of the
International Swan Foundation in the UK. He mentioned that swan  of all species
would interbreed readily or as he put it politely "at the drop of  a hat" in
captivity. Now with the reintroduction of Trumpeters in many  areas in the
US, and the various species kept as pets on private ponds  etc, plus birds
hatched in captivity, raise by humans and  released into new/old flyways who
knows what will happen.

I've looked at a lot of swans and agree young birds can be a  tough call
but usually you can put a suite of points together that will  lead you in the
right direction. There will be marginal birds that you  may not be able to
pigeon hole but I don't think the adult Rutherford County  bird is one of
those.

Just my 2 cents and of course others have different views of  what they

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135
_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_ (http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.