[TN-Bird] Thieves in the Night

  • From: Howard Groce <billyh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <Tn-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:51:47 -0500

TN-Birders,
We have a pair of American Holly trees in our yard and the female usually bears
an abundant crop of berries.  We look forward each Spring to see how quickly
they disappear and what species gets them.  A large flock can clean it out in a
couple of days.  We've had Robins, Cedar Waxwings and Evening Grosbeaks in the
past but this year was different.  A group of somethings came in like thieves
in the night and stripped it clean and we missed the whole show !

On another note, I saw my first 2004 fledgling yesterday, a young Brown
Thrasher beating a hasty retreat from a small dog.  It (the bird)  managed to
get off the ground  and flew to safety on an old dish antenna.  Isn't Nature
great !

Howard Groce
Byrdstown, (by the lake) Tennessee