[TN-Bird] The RETURN of Cove Lake/DUCKS and Eagle/long

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:47:33 -0500

Cove Lake State Park, Campbell County , TN
2-17-2003     Cloudy-windy with temps dropping

Cove Lake HAS RETURNED!
     With the draining of Cove Lake in January to kill algae, my birding
hot spot was ruined for the winter- or so I thought.  There was very
little water, and I imagined even if the ducks returned, all the food
would be gone leaving me with a bleak outlook for this winters birding
expectations.  With the recent snow and especially the rain the last
several days, Cove Lake has returned , along with several "ponds" as
extras in the low areas near the road.
     I spent a couple hours there yesterday sorting through all the ducks
that seemed to be in every little puddle, cove and open water. About once
every winter for the past 4 years I have had one outstanding day with
rafts of ducks coming in after certain type fronts, and this seemed to be
the day.  Though not as many different species as past times, it was
exciting to see this many ducks anywhere in my neck of the woods.(N of
Knoxville- Cumberland Mts)

      There was a lot of other activity as well.  I was standing on the
pier counting ducks in the scope and  God Bless those Crows-calling and
calling in that menacing tone. Better stop counting and take a look at
why they are screaming. Nice!  Immature Bald Eagle (3rd yr) coming
straight over the lake at me, deciding to soar in a circle or 2 as he
passed by no more than 100 ft  in the air.  If I hadn't stopped and
looked for the screaming crow attackers, he most certainly would have
passed overhead and I would never had seen him. This  makes 3 different
Eagles at Cove this winter. 2 Adults were present in January.
   The REDHEAD and RING-NECKED  ducks were tightly packed  together
with heads resting on their back making them hard to count, but totals
were finally decided upon after 4-5 counts
.
REDHEADS                     53          Gorgeous, and mostly males
RING-NECKED DUCK     102
LESSER SCAUP               5
GADWALL                       37
AM.BLACK DUCKS came flying in       6
I am starting to see Wood Ducks (12) again for the first time since last
fall.
Even Mallards  had been scarce, and  many of these seemed very wild and
spooky. (29)
GREEN WINGED TEAL  1 male
There were only 3 HOODED MERGANSERS today, and these were in the beaver
pond behind the campground.  These are usually the most numerous this
time of year at Cove. The Beaver pond behind the campground is always
worth checking. There have been quite a few ducks in there all winter, as
this is where the lake levels were not affected.

     2 BLUE MORPH  SNOW GEESE were in the fields with the 65+ Canada
Geese.  These have been around longer than Snow Geese usually stay.

    That menacing MUTE SWAN has returned, and is back to his annoying
self -chasing all the ducks incessantly and setting up his territory.
However, I think he has created an unhealthy relationship with a "mixed"
mallard. She/he? is allowed to follow him around constantly and they seem
to be buddies now, but no one else is tolerated.. Hummm.. Swan"cliques"?
I was hoping he had left for good.

      Many of  the other expected "Winter species" were seen-   (37 total
)
 with a highlight being an excellent up close look at a little WINTER
WREN on the first portion of the back trail very close to the parking
area. I had forgotten how dark these guys can look, and how round and
sassy they are.
Lots of Yellow-Rump Warblers were around today, especially in the cedars.

A pair of Red-Shoulder Hawks were in the back corner near the observation
deck as well behaving in a "courting" fashion.
     I never tire of seeing all the familiar "faces"  and  after being
cooped up with a back injury since Christmas seem to appreciate  them
that much more.

    I wanted to make another note RE: Cove Lake.  I have been entering
all data I have for the last 4 years into Cornell's ebird data base. I
have 1 year completed, and working on the others. It will soon be
designated as a "Hot Spot" and anyone who birds there can enter data. You
may also go back and enter data for your birding there for past dates.
For more info you may email me privately.

Good Spring Birding!

Nell Moore
jimimoore@xxxxxxxx
Caryville, TN