[TN-Bird] The "Pits", President's Island and MS RV

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:41:22 EDT

August 12, 2009
High Noon Run

The Mississippi River is falling about a foot a day and sandbars are
reappearing. A Caspian Tern and a single molted Black Tern were loafing on the
upper Loosahatchie Bar. This upper bar always had some exposed open sand and
the  Least Terns congregated there on this last rise.

A feisty Caspian at TVA Lake was dive bombing and harassing anything
animate, Least Terns, Black-necked Stilts and even a single Snowy Egret. I've
never seen a Caspian do this before?

The little rain on Tuesday was enough to just moisten some of the flats and
 they will dry quickly. With no standing water all the long-legged birds
went elsewhere. The numbers of Least slightly increased while Semipalmated
Sandpipers and Westerns took a dive. Only 4 Semi-plovers were seen but the
Pectoral Sandpiper numbers have soared. I needed more time to sit and scan
for  something special.

Mom and Dad, Black-bellied Whistling Ducks were still leading their feeding
 5 young through the weeds and keeping a close watch on the guy with the
beard.  The youngsters are getting big and have lost their distinctive stripes
and  taking on contour feathers. The resident American Coot has been
standing in the  exact spot on my last three trips; he has got his little perch
in
his pool and  is sticking to it. Need water!!

On President's Island, 1 adult Western Kingbird was seen near the causeway
and a young bird was feeding on its own on the west end. Some Eastern
Kingbirds  are still feeding young.
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.