[TN-Bird] Thayer's Gulls in TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:56:38 EST

Gull watchers,

I've put together a much too short, much too simplistic web page on Thayer's
Gulls in TN but space on the free web site is limited. The photos are not
great because getting close to any gull in Tennessee is almost impossible but
I selected some perched and in-flight shots that might give you an idea about
the IDing of this controversial species. I have a lot of other bad shots ;o)
I thought I'd share a few shots of the Thayer's that I have photographed just
this season. I just skimmed the surface and there are a lot of other very
subtle field marks on this species that will take in depth study through the
many written accounts of this species for you to understand.

Each gull was studied at length in order to see and confirm each point I feel
necessary for such an ID. I've spent hours looking at one roosting gull to
see it spread its wing or preen. The wing pattern is especially important
along with structural differences such as primary extension and shape. In
order to get comfortable with these birds you have to spend a lot of time
with Herring Gulls which are one of the most variable gulls in the world. You
will think you have a sure thing and suddenly it shows you why it is a
Herring and many just have to be left in limbo. It will be a frustrating but
rewarding adventure for those that take the challenge in the field.

Try: http://hometown.aol.com/olcoot1/page1.html

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA