[tn-bird] Re: Tess Cumbie and Hummers and Pishing

  • From: "Sheb Marsh" <sapsucker@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:38:21 -0500

> Sheb has now told us all what we must stop doing!  Sheb has
> told us what Sheb believes to be wrong with all of that
> and what is ethical about it.

I had to go back and reread my post to see what it was I told you to stop
doing. Ah! found it. Don't play tapes or pish when birds are nesting. Seems
like a pretty good idea to me, but Wallace appears to be implying it is not
with his sarcasm.

That was my only instruction in the whole post. For the rest of it I was asking
for a little self-examination into the ethics of what we do as birders and to
please try to minimize disturbances. I knew there would be some who wouldn't
agree with me, but a discussion of birding ethics needn't be a nonsubject on
this list and maybe it has given some of you something to think about.

The thing that set me off was the suggestion that it was effective to pish
shorebirds and that led to a discussion of ethical birding behavior. Just
because something is possible doesn't mean we should do it. It just isn't
necessary to pish shorebirds, but I'll bet some of you, a minority, are going
to go out and see if it works.

Sheb Marsh
Paducah, KY