[TN-Bird] Terrifying titmouse

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 13:27:39 EST

This morning brought a spectacle of heretofore unnoticed behavior with one of
my tufted titmice.  One became quite hostile in its quest to be "only bird"
at the tube feeder filled with sunflower seeds.  Taking its stand on one of the
feeder arms, it assumed the behavior of my "Boss" Mockingbirds toward EVERY
bird that came nearby including all the other titmice!  It fussed, It squawked,
it struck out at, and it just plain intimidated the fire out of them all for
several minutes.  It then took a sunflower seed and flew off into the trees at
the south side of my house.  A few minutes later, it was back and acting the
same way--truly FIERCE!  Took another sunflower seed and flew off.  This
behavior has lasted almost all morning although everyone seemed to be lunching
together nicely while I was doing my lunch dishes which I just finished.  Could
this be a late nesting female still feeding young?  It sure gave all the
indications what with the long period of food carrying this morning.  Seems I
heard
someone say just last week that there was a late nesting chickadee or wren or
something still feeding in Nashville.  My mocks have fed young until late
October a couple of times, but they seem finished for this year.  Usually, they
and
my cardinals are the first to start and the last to finish.

Good birding.  Glad so many are getting to see Mac Warbler at Radnor.  He's a
fine sight.  Glad I saw him BEFORE I came down with shingles last week!

Cheers, prayers & happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN (Charlotte Park near the old Cleece's Ferry ramp)