[TN-Bird] Re: Tennessee life bird lists

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:06:52 -0500

And to Jim Campbell:

The ability to instantly post records from the field directly to lists and
eBird has made an exciting new tool as has the ability to exchange digital
photos while standing with a good bird - as well as digital field guides
that new birders use afield rather than carrying books.  I carry my cell
phone in my shirt pocket and I am almost never without my digital pocket
camera which is usually in my pants pocket.  I think the construction of
interstate highways has also contributed. You can chase a good bird almost
anywhere in the state in hours.   I remember going to Nashville for a TOS
State Meeting (50th Anniversary of TOS) about 1965 and I don't remember
traveling a single mile over interstates because I doubt there were any.
Since we had to pay "long distance" telephone rates for every call (and it
was expensive) we mostly communicated by U.S. Mail.  I remember that to
contact each other about going birding on a Saturday, we use to send post
cards between Bristol, Johnson City, Kingsport and Elizabethton.  I still
have some of those post cards.  It had only been a few short years before
when the road to the top of Roan Mountain was one way and not paved and
birders and traffic went up the mountain in the morning and were allowed to
come down in the afternoon.  When I started going to Roan Mountain to bird,
we traveled from Elizabethton to the village of Roan Mountain over a very
narrow and dangerous road.  You had to get over to let oncoming traffic get
past and the bridges over the creek were single lane and you had to take
turns to get past other cars. For that matter, I remember the main drag in
Gatlinburg being a gravel street.  Albert Ganier traveled by train from
Nashville to the Great Smoky Mountains and to Johnson City to get to Unaka,
Roan Mountain and Shady Valley.  They didn't even have electric lights or
paved roads in Shady Valley (Johnson County) and any birding work they did
after dark was by lanterns.  And before any of you start forwarding this
message to Danny Shelton of Franklin, as possible material for his wonderful
video tape presentation of the history and memories of TOS for the big 100th
Anniversary of TOS meeting coming up next year, he came to Bristol in the
middle of January and spent two days collecting historical info, tape
recordings and doing all-day video interviews with me.  It was great fun and
very rewarding.  His work on that is a tremendous effort.  I can't wait to
see that presentation which will probably include dozens of TOSers who will
have a lot to share.

Wallace Coffey, Bristol Bird Club

Bristol, TN in Sullivan County