[TN-Bird] Tennessee Star Search

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 08:42:18 EST

Dec. 21-22, 2002
Shelby Co.-Lauderdale Co.
Reelfoot Area, Pace Point Area

Looking for a few more stars to add to my year list........

I started Saturday morning on the Mississippi River, which is on a hurried
rise and now sweeping whole trees toward New Orleans. Since there are no
sandbars left to roost on, the gull numbers are way down. I then spent some
time in the Wolf River Bottoms where I was churrrred at simultaneously by two
House Wrens that poised for photographs.

I spent 2 hours roaming the Forked Deer Bottoms searching for swans and could
not even find the four I had on Friday afternoon. It has been years since I
had been in some of that area and I had forgotten about the extensive
flooding. The Wild Turkeys had been pushed out of the bottoms in many areas
and were feeding in the fields. I paid my, almost yearly, pilgrimage to
NUTBUSH, the birthplace of Tina Turner.

At Lauderdale Water Fowl Refuge, I had a single Ross's Goose, 3 Blue Geese
and 28 Greater White-fronted, besides the horde of Mallards, the second most
numerous species, as it has been most of the season, was Ring-necked Duck. A
couple of Bald Eagles were feeding on cripples and a pair of Harriers
patrolled the dikes. I had Lapland Longspurs in small flocks in the
surrounding area.

An afternoon run-around at Reelfoot produced Lapland Longspurs at 5 locations
with the largest flock containing about 350 birds and total for the area
about 750. The large flock was working corn stubble off the Great River Road
west of Markham. Another good size group was seen just south of the State
Line Road north of Phillippy. The duck and gull population out on the lake
was down from last week. I make a couple of stops at dusk on the south end to
look for the murrelet. One area was flooded and the wind was blowing into the
protected area and the water was too choppy. The 3 Common Merganser females
can still be seen from Keystone Pocket. I did not see the White Pelicans but
did not put in much time.

In the Pace Point area on Sunday, I found Common Loons on both the Tennessee
and Big Sandy Rivers in equal numbers with a total count of 98 birds, which
is just about right for the winter. No uncommon loons were found. Again,
overall both gull and duck numbers appeared to be down; I'm sure the fish
kill two weeks ago lowered prey numbers and easy food. It still is a great
place and I had good totals on the following species: Pied-billed Grebe -
324+, Horned Grebe - 852+, EARED GREBE - 1 the north cove at Britton Ford
parking area. A bird that is pretty rare around here in the winter, distant
photos, Common Goldeneye - 738+ mostly in the Big Sandy Reach, Canvasback -
458+, LONG-TAILED DUCK - 2 females, photographed together off Trailer Rd.,
SURF SCOTERS - 8 in the middle cove at Britton Ford, Golden Eagle at Britton
Ford.

Total waterfowl species for the weekend was an amazing 26 species which I
think is my highest weekend number ever. Only 2 Redhead Ducks were seen and
they were at Britton Ford. We missed this species last week on the Reelfoot
CBC.

I did run into three different gulls that took some long studies, those birds
can get really weird.

Anybody got any Crossbill or Evening Grosbeaks anywhere?

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.