[TN-Bird] Tennessee Aquarium's Atlantic Puffin , Bicknell's Thrush trip (Ju ne 16-21, 2005)

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:44:35 -0500

        I (Kevin Calhoon) will be leading a trip for the Tennessee Aquarium
targeting Bicknell's Thrush in New Hampshire and Atlantic puffins on Machias
Seal Island in northern Maine from June 16 - 21, 2005.
     We will meet in Portland Maine on June 16 and drive north to the White
Mountains to prepare for the June 17 high elevation search for such goodies
as Bicknell's Thrush, Boreal Chickadee, Black-backed and Three-toed
Woodpeckers and the secretive Spruce Grouse.

     Friday afternoon we will head toward Acadia National Park in Maine and
spend the night in the vicinity and on Saturday (June 18) spend the day
birding and taking in the spectacular scenery of the Mount Desert Island
section of the national park.

     On Saturday evening will drive the few miles north to the small port of
Jonesport where we will spend the night and prepare for our boat trip out to
Machias Seal Island on Sunday June 19.  The ten mile boat trip to and from
the island will give us an opportunity  to view harbor and gray seals and
possibly whales as well as pelagic birds such as Manx, Sooty and Greater
Shearwaters, Wilson's and Leach's (rare) Storm Petrels, Parasitic and
Pomarine Jaeger's, and Black-legged Kittiwake.  The island itself contains
around fifteen-hundred pairs of breeding Atlantic Puffins which we will get
to view at close range from a blind.  Other birds seen on and around the
island include Razorbill, Artic and Roseate Tern (rare), Common Eider and
Black Guillemot.  We will reserve Monday June 20 to try for missed target
birds and work our way back to Portland, where we will depart on June 21.

     Those of you who have gone on my trips before know that there will be
no shortage of serious birding and eating (lobster, lobster, lobster)!  I
will be monitoring local RBA's and will do my best to accommodate listing
needs.

     The trip price is 775 $ for aquarium members (not including airfare)
and a little more for nonmembers.

     This will be a fantastic trip and the maximum is 12, so don't wait too
long if you are interested!

For more information you can contact me at kac@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:kac@xxxxxxxxxx>  or call at 423-785-4070.

Kevin Calhoon