[TN-Bird] TOS winter meeting results

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 20:58:12 -0500

TN-birders,

Dollyann & I just got back in from the TOS winter meeting at Pickwick State
Park in Hardin County this past weekend. 23 folks braved the chilly
temperatures Saturday to spend all day out and about in southern Hardin County
looking for any birds we could find. The total species list came it at 92 or 93
species for all day Saturday and Sunday morning. Good fun and nibbles were had
Friday and Saturday nights as the lodge was kind enough to let us use a meeting
room that was unoccupied.

Some of the birding highlights were:

White-winged Scoter – at least 10 in the area, including 5 that hung around the
lodge allowing greats looks in the scopes. The invasion continues!
Red-throated Loon – a group of 5 were found at the last minute at Bruton
Branch, just before everyone left to go home.
Golden Eagle – One beautiful adult landed briefly about 60 feet away from us at
Bruton Branch. About 30 minutes later it attacked an American
       Coot in the embayment just before Bruton Branch. The coot escaped the
lunch menu and the eagle got thoroughly soaked in the process.
       In all the birding I have done in the last 35 years, this was the best
looks ever at this species and a lifer for Chloe Walker. Awesome!
Virginia Rail – one was heard responding to tape at a cattail marsh in the
bottoms that Damien Simbeck told me about.
Laughing Gull – One seen well below the dam Saturday, amongst the blizzard
(thousands) of gulls there.
Thayer’s Gull – Seen by a few folks on Sunday morning. Dick Preston had seen
one Friday on the way to the meeting.
Short-eared Owl – One bird seen very well Saturday evening at dusk. We were
waiting for it to show up when Chloe Walker pointed in the
     direction we all were NOT looking in! Another lifer for Chloe. Well done!
Gray Catbird – One found by Chloe Walker in the bottoms Saturday afternoon.
Vesper Sparrow – a few seen on Saturday in the bottoms along the river.
Fox Sparrow – One seen in the bottoms.
Rusty Blackbirds – a nice group seen late in the afternoon on Saturday in the
bottoms.

Thanks to all the folks who participated. It was a fun weekend of birding and
friends.

Ron Hoff
President / state bird count compiler
Tennessee Ornithological Society